reaction to varicella and others

just me
My child had the varicella at 13 months and 48 hours later completely stopped all verbalizations and talking, including noises except for crying.  This was a child who said 'mama' at 9 months and was begining to say other words like ball, etc.  Then 8 days later (total of 10 from shot) got a rash on the back.  No blisters , no fever.  Don't remember how long the rash lasted.....my child is  7 1/2 now.

Previously, my child suffered from a 48 hour high pitched screaming reaction from the DTaP at an early month in life.  Our Pediatrition had suggested terminating all future vaccines.  We choose to do just 2 at a time and go slow.  Hence, the varicella was actually by itself as I refused to to the MMR at the same time.  So no other issues.

Meanwhile, I persue speech therapy and am told my child has signs of verble apraxia.  After 9 months of speech therapy we were told our child was most likey a late bloomer but is in need of speech therapy a few months every year to 'catch up' then leaves therapy and then returns. No one would address the facts of a previously verble child going totally non verble suddenly either with Speech Therapist or  Dr.

If you can follow.....after the varicella we continued 2 shots at a time but each time our child's symptoms got worse.  Getting fevers and screaming on shots never had reactions to before.  Also, our child would increase in sound verbalization and one or two words then fall back again shortly (less then a week) after an immunization.

Recently our child has been diagnosed with allergy induced asthma.  Has had severe reactions to grass, nuts, chocolate, cats (weird as we had a cat the first 3 years of our child's life and nothing....then cat dies and 18 months later severe reaction).

Also, our child had a very FIRST ear infection and was given amoxicilian.  I worried as our child seems to 'react' to everything and I am also allergic to this medicaiton.  Within 3 days our child was getting hives around the mouth and in the ER with severe breathing reaction to the medication.

I am a teacher of 20 years and have always been  in agreement with immunizations. I always took my child into the Dr. with confidence for shots until the reactions started occuring.  BECAUSE of these reactions and suggestions from Dr. we have discontinued the varicella and have not done the MMR (fear of similar componants to varicella and because of our child seeming to react to everything fearful of most severe reactions like encephalitis etc and loosing our only miracle).

Frequently I find myself feeling like a bad mother because our child is not 'fully' immunized.  Then realize it's not due to anything but the REACTIONS our child continued to have that caused us to stop.  My recent Dr. feels that some people react less to things as they get older and perhaps we may try later for MMR and second varicella, but previously felt that if our child were to get any of these diseases would be better off woking through them at this older age vs. an adverse reaction to a shot  as shown by all the previous reactions. Contradictory counseling is not helpful. I still feel my child will be overly sensitive to a shot and for some reason is one of the 'rare' or 'few' who would show contrandictions negative to these shots and I would loose my child just because I felt 'bad' when school begins each year and others are so heated about every vax being done, regardless that I am pigeon holed as an 'irresponsible' mothe

A friend, who is anti-vaccine recently had her 14 year old and 6 year old vacinated with MMR as they were told a breakout in Europe with either measles or mumps was reported and they live in LA region and could probably get it vs. others in rural areas.  She got it and never wanted it for her kids.  They never had vaccines and seem to be fine but never showed adverse reactions to anything before and neither child has allergies etc.. Is there an outbreak?

Doesn't it take up to 22 days for all reactions to occur for this MMR?

I am getting into an allergist soon to try to get our child tested for allergies to medicines/components to these vaccines ( I am allergic to mycin drugs and neomycin is in both of these and the polio as well).

I should mention that we put our child through a battery of tests.  Perfectly normal, no autism, sensory issues etc so reactions not due to that subject.

Any comments are welcomed.

Re: reaction to varicella and others

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I have very little to say scientifically. From what you say, your child just seems to react very badly to shots. This happens, I know a little boy who fought a lot after each vaccine for about a week. How far did you get with your LO's shots? S/he might actually have good coverage at them moment if the shots were spaced a bit further apart than normal, for example the protection by DTaP at 3, 5, 12 months is equivalent to 2,4,6, 12 month when measured at 13 months (does that make sense?).

If you are in the US, I would not worry tremendously about MMR at the moment and just keep an eye on the measles situation.

Re: reaction to varicella and others

just me
Thank you very much for your information.  Yes, my LO does react and is very sensitive to shots (it seems to other things as well).  I am not sure how protected my LO is with the DTaP.  Your feed back will help.  I will list what we were able to get before we just stopped doing everything altogether and are waiting for more testing.

DTaP: 2 mos, 4 mos, 7 mos

Td: 5 years (grabbed a rusty fish hook when out fishing....was given 1/2 adult does)

Hep B: 2 mos, 4 mos, 12 mos

Hib: 2 mos, 4 mos, 12 mos ( we believe our LO actually recieved another shot at 6 mos but was not transferred well when we moved across state lines.  At 4 years 9 months I tried to get another as we thought we should and at the time the HIB was pulled off the market or lack of production or something and then they don't give it after age 5 is what we were told)

Polio (IPV): 3 mos, 5 mos, 16 mos

PCV:  3 mos, 5 mos, 7 mos, 16 mos

Varicella: 14 mos

MMR:  did not do as reaction to varicella

Hep A:  was not offered this by any Dr.  not sure what it is?

Based on this information what is your opionion about coverage?

We do live in the US, in the Midwest.  I have a few questions you may be able to answer?

1.  With the reaction my LO had to DTaP, how covered are we with the above dosages and as the years progress should we do one of the others that has a little p?  Would that cause a less reaction as I was told the little letters mean adult dosage and not pediatric dosage?  Is this worse for my LO considering the past reaction of 48 hours high pitched screaming?  Our Dr.  is not a proponent of the acelluar DTaP as he feels it is not effective and that is why we are seeing cases with children with wc who have been vaccinated.  I do not have an opion but wondered your opinion.

2.  Are we covered with Polio with just the 3?  Also, our Dr. isn't a fan of the IPV.  He preferrs the OPV which is not available in the US for reasons of too many bad reactions I think.....at anyrate, am cocerned that if my LO wants to travel as a teen or adult to other countries would an OPV be needed due to wild polio being more prevelant in other countries and the OPV being more effective for that strain?  My aunt had polio as a child and it is upper most in my mind when we think of overseas travel as the years progress. I think most people just pass the polio in their stools with no problems, but wild polio is different isn't it then what the IPV covers?

3. With the MMR.....I heard the seperate shots are available again.  Is that true?  Never thought we'd do that if our LO could handle it as it seemed as if one was getting lots of 'extra' stuff vs. just once.  However, I must ask....how are the seperate shots administered?  Is it 3 seperate shots and then done?  Is there a way to give the Measles shot in small doeses to see if reaction less severe or is this not a way to gather immunity?

Anything else I'm missing in my questions?  Thanks for anything you can do to let me know more information.

Re: reaction to varicella and others

just me
Also.....if the visit to the allergist shows that our LO is allergic to neomycin then what do we do about travel to other countries in terms of not being able to have MMR, 2nd Varicella and further IPV?  I never knew there was a 'post' problem with measles until I was on this site.  Is this something that is random or do most people who survive the measles get these related diseases from measles?  I know some people can get shingles years after having chicken pox but never new anything about measles.

Re: reaction to varicella and others

DTaP: 2 mos, 4 mos, 7 mos

Td: 5 years (grabbed a rusty fish hook when out fishing....was given 1/2 adult does)

that will hold until he is about 10 - then you should consider a dTaP/IPV (that would catch him up for pertussis and polio)

Hep B: 2 mos, 4 mos, 12 mos

you could do one at pre-teen age.

Hib: 2 mos, 4 mos, 12 mos ( we believe our LO actually recieved another shot at 6 mos but was not transferred well when we moved across state lines.  At 4 years 9 months I tried to get another as we thought we should and at the time the HIB was pulled off the market or lack of production or something and then they don't give it after age 5 is what we were told)

yes, you are done with hib

Polio (IPV): 3 mos, 5 mos, 16 mos

That is good for now (and see above for booster)

PCV:  3 mos, 5 mos, 7 mos, 16 mos

That is perfect.

Varicella: 14 mos

Recommended is another, but I can understand that you don't want to do it.

MMR:  did not do as reaction to varicella

Do you think you might feel more comfortable with the MMR as your LOs grows older? MMR can be done at any age.

Hep A:  was not offered this by any Dr.  not sure what it is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hepatitis_A

Re: reaction to varicella and others

just me
Thank you so VERY much!

I had been scouring the internet to get as much information as I could stand to read, LOL!  I thought I was understanding from my looking around that:

* Tdap at age 7 is fine and that a previous reaction of 3 hours of inconsolable crying or more in not worrisome, however, the 3 series of DTaP should be okay for somewhere between 5 to 10 years.....so with the Td at age 5 and the last DTaP at 7 months I was thinking we would try the Tdap around age 9 or 10 unless is seems our area is looking high for an outbreak (read 2 weeks prior to being around an infant so thought that was a good standard for the vax working?).

*Thought the Hep B was just a 3 series shot?  Should we do titers to see or is your recommendation primarily for our thought we may have a traveling in the teen years at some point and it's good to boost it?

* We are going to to titers for Varicella and go from there.....scarey enough for me to stay up all night reliving our past nightmare times, but also knowing the possibility that if chickenpox came our way it would be less of an infection, but for how long is immunity good even with 2 shots?  Is that known yet due to shot being less then 30 years old?

* yes we are willing to discuss MMR when we are older and heavier (at 7 1/2 years we are 44 pounds and 49 inches....just a wee one).  I worry about the 3 vax's at once and being live virus.....I sometimes wish they would produce the single shots again so we can try one at a time due to our DTaP triple virus and the Varicella.......no luck in that in the future I supose?  We are getting into allergist soon and will go from there.

* Is the IPV seperate or just combined at same visit with Tdap?  Sorry....it's been a long time since I've looked at this stuff.  Will the IPV be something we need to do as a booster for lilfe or is that to be determined?  Do we need to worry about Polio in other countries if we do a mission trip for example with not having OPV or is that just my DR.'s opinion?

*will look at what I can of ingredients to Hep A and if it all looks good will do the recommended dosage this year.  Thanks!

*Just saw they have rotovirus.....they didn't have that when our LO was an infant.....had a severe case of it tooo....27 diahrea in 24 hours and 22 vomits in same amount of time.  Lasted 14 days and they wouldn't hospitalize for hydration......switched Pediatricians after that....lost 7 pounds in 14 days.  It was terrible, thought we were dying....sounds dramatic but the tought crossed my mind a time or two when baby was just limp.

*anything else you would recommend at this age range we missed?  Hoping Hep A and Tdap and IPV boosters soon and looking into MMR/Varicella is all:)

you have been very helpful and I apprecieate all your time and knowledge. We really would like our LO to be fully vax'd.  Am sure I will be asking these questions when it comes time for menengitis before college and the one they give for girls now....so boys get that too?  SO MUCH MORE then when I was growing up, it's enough to make your head spin.....

Again, thank you and I will use your site again when I need some advice!

Re: reaction to varicella and others

oh sorry - I totally overlooked your post here...

just me wrote
I was thinking we would try the Tdap around age 9 or 10 unless is seems our area is looking high for an outbreak (read 2 weeks prior to being around an infant so thought that was a good standard for the vax working?).
that is spot on!

just me wrote
for how long is immunity good even with 2 shots?  Is that known yet due to shot being less then 30 years old?
Nope, not known really and seems to vary, depending on age at vaccination and very much the vaccinee. One shot held perfectly well for my DD when her little brother caught chicken pox. Others have break through disease, but that is usually mild.

MMR singles
nope, not planned as far as I know.

just me wrote
* Is the IPV seperate or just combined at same visit with Tdap?  Sorry....it's been a long time since I've looked at this stuff.  Will the IPV be something we need to do as a booster for lilfe or is that to be determined?  Do we need to worry about Polio in other countries if we do a mission trip for example with not having OPV or is that just my DR.'s opinion?
The IPV is usually single, although there is a dTaP/IPV. You can get it any time. Now the question about polio in countries that one "typically" does a mission trip to is an interesting one. Theoretically, you would indeed all be better protected with the OPV. A question to ask a travel vaccine clinic should you really go.

just me wrote
*Thought the Hep B was just a 3 series shot?  Should we do titers to see or is your recommendation primarily for our thought we may have a traveling in the teen years at some point and it's good to boost it?
I would just boost at teen age. My daughter's titers got tested recently and they were low, so she needed boosting (for her volunteer work).

just me wrote
*Just saw they have rotovirus.....they didn't have that when our LO was an infant.....had a severe case of it tooo....27 diahrea in 24 hours and 22 vomits in same amount of time.  Lasted 14 days and they wouldn't hospitalize for hydration......switched Pediatricians after that....lost 7 pounds in 14 days.  It was terrible, thought we were dying....sounds dramatic but the tought crossed my mind a time or two when baby was just limp.
Yikes - that does sound horrible, I am so sorry you had to go through this and glad your LO came out alright...

just me wrote
*anything else you would recommend at this age range we missed?  Hoping Hep A and Tdap and IPV boosters soon and looking into MMR/Varicella is all:)
I think that covers it all - you can revisit the issue should you take your LO into a developing country...

just me wrote
you have been very helpful and I apprecieate all your time and knowledge. We really would like our LO to be fully vax'd.  Am sure I will be asking these questions when it comes time for menengitis before college and the one they give for girls now....so boys get that too?  SO MUCH MORE then when I was growing up, it's enough to make your head spin.....

Again, thank you and I will use your site again when I need some advice!
Thank you very much - I am sorry I did not get back to you earlier. Keep us posted on how you get on, if you like.