pcv vaccine help

scarlett
This post was updated on .
Hi, I am wondering your thoughts on pcv-7. My dd is due to get it next week and after looking through lots of papers I still have lots of unanswered questions.

My thoughts....

_ rates of meningitis seem unchanged (just caused now by non vaccine serotypes -figures from HPA). Is there any difference in the way antibiotics can treat? Are vaccine vs  non vaccine serotypes easier/harder to treat?

-if we opt out of the vaccine will dd be at any higher risk than vaccinated children (from the non vaccine serotypes?) Will she benefit from "herd immunity" from the vaccine serotypes?

I would welcome your views...we are in the UK and dd is ebf just now and will be until 6 months.

Re: pcv vaccine help

Hi and welcome - I would not do the Prevnar 7, only the Prevnar 13, if available, since (at least in the US), the strains covered by the PCV 7 are not circulating that much anymore and the 13 is covering 6 of the newer strains.

I have not looked at PCV for a couple of years, and am not up to date on the UK situation, but the last time I looked, risk was not higher for the unvaccinated population. If your daughter will go to daycare, or you have older siblings in the house, PCV13 is one to consider.

Does that help any?

Re: pcv vaccine help

scarlett
It does, thank you for the reply.  The leaflet from the GP definitely says it's pcv-7 but I will ask at the appointment if pcv-13 is available. If not I think we will delay for now at least. She will go to daycare but not until she's 9 months.