flu mist, flu shot, or no flu immunization for kids?

flu mist, flu shot, or no flu immunization for kids?

GeminiMoon42
I have a 2 year old with ASD, a 4 year old with misc delays, a 6 year old and an infant. The 3 oldest will all be going to public school come flu season, who should get which, IF ANY, flu vaccinations to protect each other and the infant at home?

Re: flu mist, flu shot, or no flu immunization for kids?

lilady
Hi, these are the current CDC recommendations for influenza vaccine administration for children 6 months-8 years of age.  Take special note of the need to provide 2 doses of the flu vaccine to children who have never received seasonal flu vaccine, during prior flu "seasons".

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6132a3.htm#fig1

Re: flu mist, flu shot, or no flu immunization for kids?

GeminiMoon42
Thanks. Yeah, I know the ages, doses and what the CDC recommends - which is basically for all kids to get all shots as early as possible but I'd like opinions from real people and real parents who can weigh the pros and cons especially with kids who may not be neuro-typical.

Re: flu mist, flu shot, or no flu immunization for kids?

lilady
I'm a real person and a real parent of two children.  My son who was multiply handicapped with a seizure disorder, along with bleeding and immune disorders was immunized every year with the seasonal influenza vaccine.  In spite of various hospitalizations for his many medical problems, he was never hospitalized for influenza illnesses and, it enabled him to survive for 28 years.  He died peacefully in his sleep eight years ago.

What specific questions do you have about influenza vaccine for each of your children?

Re: flu mist, flu shot, or no flu immunization for kids?

Hi GM,

I would get the three older kids the FluMist, since it has consistently been shown to be more effective than the flu shot. How old is the baby?

Re: flu mist, flu shot, or no flu immunization for kids?

oh wait - mum and dad should get the FluMist, too, of course (I am bummed that we cannot get it in the UK).

Re: flu mist, flu shot, or no flu immunization for kids?

GeminiMoon42
Baby is almost 3 months. Will be 6 months on January 19. (her middle name is Catarina - just noticed the coincidence) I was planning on us (mom and dad) getting immunized too.

I'm sorry lilady. I didn't mean that you weren't a real parent or person. I was just looking for more than the CDC recommendations. My specific questions are is it at all risky to get non NT kids flu immunizations? And why or why not?

Re: flu mist, flu shot, or no flu immunization for kids?

GM - it is actually particularly important to get non NT children their flu vaccine according to the CDC's analyses:

http://leftbrainrightbrain.co.uk/2012/08/29/children-with-neurologic-disorders-at-high-risk-of-death-from-flu/

Matt Carey, the guy who summarises the findings, is himself the father of an autistic child.

Catarina is a beautiful name