can u mix flu injection and mist?

carrie
I was wondering if you can mix the injection and mist if your kids need two doses. I am pondering this because if we go with just mist (we have to rely on county clinics right now), then they won't have full two dose protection until the second flu mist clinic at the end of december.

I could, however, get them the injection on oct 20th and the mist on Nov 21 and they would have their two doses done.

They are all under 9 but over 2. They all received one h1n1 vaccine last year (mist) but it was towards the end of everything and we never ended up getting a second dose.

Re: can u mix flu injection and mist?

Carrie - did you do seasonal flu last year, too, or only the H1N1? If you had done one seasonal, one H1N1, I would totally just go with one flu vaccine this year.

Re: can u mix flu injection and mist?

the CDC (http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/qa/nasalspray.htm) says:

When should the nasal-spray flu vaccine LAIV (FluMist®) be given?

Flu vaccination should begin as soon as vaccine is available and continue throughout the influenza season, into December, January, and beyond. While seasonal influenza outbreaks can happen as early as October, most of the time influenza activity peaks in January or later.

All children 6 months through 8 years of age are recommended to receive 2 doses of 2010-11 flu vaccine 4 or more weeks apart unless they have received:

   1. at least 1 dose of 2009 H1N1 vaccine last flu season, and
   2. at least 1 dose of seasonal vaccine prior to the 2009-2010 flu season or 2 doses of 2009-10 seasonal flu vaccine last flu season

If a child has fulfilled both requirements, they only need 1 dose of the 2010-11 flu vaccine.

The first dose should be given as soon as vaccine becomes available, and the second dose should be given 28 or more days after the first dose. The first dose "primes" the immune system; the second dose provides immune protection. Children who only get one dose but need two doses can have reduced or no protection from a single dose of flu vaccine. Two doses are necessary to protect these children. If your child needs the two doses, begin the process early, so that children are protected before influenza starts circulating in your community. Be sure to follow up to get your child a second dose if they need one. It usually takes about two weeks after the second dose for protection to begin.
How often should the nasal-spray flu vaccine LAIV (FluMist®) be given?

One dose of LAIV should be given during each influenza season. Children ages 2 to 9 years of age who require two doses (those receiving influenza vaccine for the first time or those vaccinated for the first time during the previous influenza season but who only received one dose) should receive the two doses at least 28 or more days apart.
Can people who received inactivated influenza vaccine (the flu shot) last year get the nasal-spray flu vaccine LAIV (FluMist®) this year?

Yes, people who got inactivated influenza vaccine (the flu shot) last year can get the nasal-spray flu vaccine LAIV (FluMist®) this year.
Can the nasal-spray flu vaccine LAIV (FluMist®) be used together with influenza antiviral medications?

If a person is taking an influenza antiviral drug (including Tamiflu® or Relenza®, then the nasal spray flu vaccine should not be given until 48 hours after the last dose of the influenza antiviral medication was given. If a person takes antiviral drugs within two weeks of getting the nasal spray flu vaccine, that person should get revaccinated. (The antiviral drugs will have killed the vaccine viruses that are supposed to cause the immune response against those viruses.)

Antiviral drugs can be taken with the inactivated (i.e. killed) flu vaccine.
If a child under the age of 9 years is getting seasonal influenza vaccine for the first time and requires 2 doses, does the same type of vaccine have to be used for both doses?

No, the first and second doses do not have to match; live or inactivated vaccine can be used for either dose. The doses should be separated by at least 28 days.
So the answer to your question would be yes.

Catherina