age 5 shots

gia

age 5 shots

gia
if my son had chicken pox shot at 18 months and MMR at age 3, and he's now 5, in what order should I do the remaining chicken pox and MMR? (He had the polio and dtap this week, and i was going to wait about a month before doing another just b/c I don't like giving 4 at once). So...since he didn't get MMR until 3, do we wait longer to give the second dose? The chicken pox one was not as delayed so that one could probably be given now.

Re: age 5 shots

Hi Gia,

the minimal distance between the 2 MMRs is 4 weeks, so any time is good really. I would do the chicken pox first, just because that is still around more, but from the date of the first Varicella and MMR you are ok to go with either.

HTH
gia

Re: age 5 shots

gia
Does it make sense to wait longer since i did the first one at age 3? meaning, if it's usually given at age 1 and it presumably "lasts" until age 5, wouldn't it make sense to do the next one at age 7? Do you understand what I'm asking?
gia

Re: age 5 shots

gia
Does it make sense to wait longer since i did the first one at age 3? meaning, if it's usually given at age 1 and it presumably "lasts" until age 5, wouldn't it make sense to do the next one at age 7? Do you understand what I'm asking?

Re: age 5 shots

Hi again Gia,

no longer distance is needed and the MMR is unlikely to work better when the time between the shots is longer than 2 years. 2 Years has been shown to be better than a month apart, but a shot given now would likely boost as well as one in a year. That gives you optimal flexibility, so you can schedule the shots in any way you see fit, really :)

HTH and let us know what you decide