Varicella Post

Middle Roader
I know that Science Mom was gonna do a post about the varicella vax and the pros and cons as she sees them.  I know that ya'll are busy, were you still planning on doing it?

I'm not catherina or SM. just a mom

Pros
None...well except for Merck making alot of money:)

Cons
This vaccine was created for immune compromised children
Not healthy ones.... Then they presented a report stating look how much
Money can be saved if parents didn't have to stay home with their child and bam
The world made chicken pox look like the plague.
Ur children will constantly need to get boosters and when they are grown
Out of ur house who will make them go to the doctors
Majority of people only go to the doc when something is wrong
And won't remember to ask for a booster
So without booster the children now grown will be left  vulnerable to the disease and
When u are older is when it becomes dangerous
If u have a daughter when she breast feeds her Baby breastmilk it
Will not contain the correct antibodies to protect herbaby from it because
She received the artifical vaccine
There is a misconception that if u get the vaccine u will never get shingles
This is a huge lie I work in hospital and we see middle school kids with shingles
Who only received vaccines
Chicken pox will never be eradicated like polio
Shingles can happen when the body is stressed out or going thru chemo or just simply u
r immune system is down.... Then when u have shingle someone else vulnerable can catch chicken pox

Everytime you get shingles u run the risk of getting and adverse reaction like
Guillan Barre does it happen all the time no but it does happen

Just like do people die from chicken yes but very very few
Get it young and I'll be annoyed for a week to ten days the ill be good
Forever unless u have a shingles outbreak which can happen with vaccine as well

Some scaremongering people will talk about mrsa well exercise common sense keep pox protected until they are better
If that scares u don't send ur kid to school with even a papercut because he could get it that way to

Re: Varicella Post

Science Mom
Hi MR, how are you?  Yes, eventually I'll get around to that but would be happy to answer any specific questions you might have.

SM

Re: I'm not catherina or SM. just a mom

Science Mom
To our illiterate poster:  If you work in a hospital I hope it is in the capacity of janitorial or food service since I cringe at the thought of someone like you actually caring for patients, nor should you be.  I'd like to clear up some fallacies that you have laid down.

G wrote
Ur children will constantly need to get boosters and when they are grown

No they won't as a pre-teen booster will last into adulthood and with the prevalence of chicken pox so diminished, it isn't necessary.  Chicken pox doesn't confer lifelong immunity either and an individual needs periodic boosting too.
G wrote
If u have a daughter when she breast feeds her Baby breastmilk it
Will not contain the correct antibodies to protect herbaby from it because
She received the artifical vaccine
False, varicella immunity is conferred transplacentally, not via breastfeeding and is not very long lived either.
G wrote
There is a misconception that if u get the vaccine u will never get shingles
No there isn't a misconception about the vaccine and shingles; there are plenty of studies to demonstrate that the vaccine can also cause shingles although at a lower level of both incidence and severity than wild-type.
G wrote
This is a huge lie I work in hospital and we see middle school kids with shingles
Who only received vaccines
False, you have to swab a pustule and submit it for genetic testing to determine the strain type.  In many instances, a child can have asymptomatic or missed chicken pox (due to the vaccine) infection but the parents only remember vaccination.  You simply can't make that statement without genotyping.
G wrote
Everytime you get shingles u run the risk of getting and adverse reaction like
Guillan Barre does it happen all the time no but it does happen
Yes so?  You don't think this happens a lot more with wild-type varicella?

SM

Re: Varicella Post

Middle Roader
Hi!  I'm doing alright.  Just had my second in Oct.  Now I have my DD who's gonna be 3yo in March and my DS who's currently almost 4mo.  The birth & recovery was not the easiest, but not a horror story either. I've been lurking around Babycenter since Cath suggested it and then joined when Dr Bob went awol.  Apparently you have some anti-fans there who got you kicked off?  At least as best I could tell.  Bummer, but it's not the only board on the internet.

I don't really have any specific questions, I'm just trying to create a big picture opinion.  I'm planning on holding off on it till teen years, not that there's much hope of catching it normally anymore.  I'm just concerned with the rise of shingles and any other as-yet-unknown consequences of this vax.  That and since it's no longer around, how do you get any natural boosting?  So eventually this will either have to eliminate the disease or keep adding more and more boosters.  As far as I or my mom can remember, I never got cpox, so I got the vax as a teen.  Got the series twice actually, apparently no one was paying attention. :)  It would just be nice to have some facts/research to back up my musings or put to rest my doubts.

Re: I'm not catherina or SM. just a mom

Lily
SM, I have seen you say before that wild varicella does not confer lifelong immunity, but I can't verify this anywhere in my usual searches online like cdc or pubmed (or I'm just missing it somehow) and wonder if you know of a specific source that I'm missing.  TIA

Re: I'm not catherina or SM. just a mom