Vaccines, Please Help Me feel Better

Runner
Hello........ I was a very antivax mom with my second child.Around 3 years old I got a HIB shot,and have since got 2 DTAP shots...... Child is going to be 5 now......

My deal is I am going to be having a baby soon this month....... I am scared to vaccinate such a small baby,yet at the same time don't want to put my child in a bubble like I did my second child.......

My Husband has two children that go to daycare so that in itself makes me want to vaccinate the new baby,I can't tell you how many times I was sick last winter from what they brought home NOT FUN!!!!!!

So what shots should I get my 5 year old now? Has had 2 Dtap,and 1 Hib around age 3-4

And how can I go about vaccinating our new baby that is due this month that I want to protect but at the same time want to protect from any reactions from a shot.......

Now I am worried about the risk of prevnar,and seizures,as I have read that can happen from this shot.

I don't want to do Hep B........... So is there a way you would go about this? A brand that is good? I am going to breastfed,and supplments I should take before hand?

My ped has never like my not vaccinating stance but he does work with me,and is very nice.

Thank You =)

Re: Vaccines, Please Help Me feel Better

Hi Runner,

I am sorry you are so scared. I can tell you that recent studies have shown that children whose vaccines were delayed were not healthier than children who got vaccinated on time (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20498176) and children who were NOT vaccinated at all were not healthier than children who were (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21412506). I also found this blog post really helpful: http://scienceblogs.com/erv/2011/08/not_responding_well_to_vaccine.php

Ok - I would suggest one more DTaP and an MMR for your 5 year old (4 weeks apart). It is important to cocoon the little one for pertussis and this year is bad for measles.

In my opinion, a baby needs his/her own pertussis and hib protection. Without hepB, you could go for Pentacel which has DTaP/hib/IPV. Breastfeeding reduces the risk of invasive pneumococcal disease, so why don't you see how your baby does with his/her Pentacel first.

How does this sound?

Re: Vaccines, Please Help Me feel Better

Science Mom
Runner, I concur with Catherina but please be sure that you and your partner and anyone with close contact with your children are Hep B negative before foregoing this one.  Congratulations!

SM

Re: Vaccines, Please Help Me feel Better

Runner
Thank You for the links.......

Yes we are all 100% Hep B free..... =)