TDaP vaccination while breastfeeding?

GeminiMoon42
I am 30 weeks pregnant and my OB asks everytime I come in if I'd like a TDaP shot. I'm not really comfortable getting any vaccinations while pregnant but I am considering getting one after I give birth especially since there has been am outbreak in our city and neighboring cities, particularly in high schools. I have kids in kindergarten and in preschool so I'm concerned about school germs getting home to the newborn. So, are there risks (to the baby) of getting a TDaP while breastfeeding? Would my newborn daughter be protected by the vaccine through my breastmilk? My OB told me getting vaccinated while pregnant would give her much better protection and she wouldn't get much protection if I got the shot after birth and breastfed. What are your thoughts? Would you get the recommended TDaP or flu shots while pregnant?

Re: TDaP vaccination while breastfeeding?

Hi GeminiMoon,

I think your OB is a keeper. If I had another baby, I would totally get the dTaP in the third trimester - my titer would spike and my antibodies would be passed through the placenta to the baby. Breastfeeding is unlikely to give any protection beyond the immediate neonatal period (there is a tiny study on that, but they didn't look at freshly vaccinated mums). Apart from the transfer of antibodies, the extra benefit of getting the vaccine now is that should your arm hurt from the shot (mine did when I got my booster in 2005), you won't have a newborn to carry around.

I would also get the flu shot, the benefits of getting the flu shots during pregnancy have been well documented, but since flu season is nearly over, you don't need to bother with that in this pregnancy.

Hope this helps in your decision :) Let us know what you'll do!

Re: TDaP vaccination while breastfeeding?

Middle Roader
I would get the Tdap but not the flu.  I've never been a big flu shot person (I did get it this year right after giving birth in Oct), but I have no other reason for not getting it.  The Tdap I would get if needed, especially if there was an outbreak nearby.  But I would wait until the 3rd trimester to get it.  There's still a lot going on with the baby at that point, but all the systems are mostly formed by then.

Re: TDaP vaccination while breastfeeding?

Science Mom
I'm another vote for Tdap for your protection and for your infant particularly in light of pertussis outbreaks all over.  Antibody passed through breastmilk does not appear to be very high although as Catherina stated, not much in the way of research there.  It is dependent upon maternal circulating antibody so after you give birth is better than not at all.  Congratulations and have a healthy pregnancy and birth.

SM

Re: TDaP vaccination while breastfeeding?

GeminiMoon42
So is there no risk to the baby then if I get a vaccination with her in utero? I have 3 boys and all have had mild-significant developmental delays, My third being the most severe (he in the process of getting evaluated for autism). My youngest 2 boys did not have many shots before turning 2 though (just DTaP at 6, 12 & 18 months). And the baby I'm currently pregnant with is a girl which makes me hope that her risks for delays/autism are lower but I'm still nervous about my kids genetic disposition and mixing that with early vaccine exposure. I have decided that this baby will get immunized almost fully (just a couple minor adjustments) since I have kids in school and preschool.

Re: TDaP vaccination while breastfeeding?

KRAZYCAKES
I AM SO PARANOID ABOUT VACCINES WHILE PREGNANT BECAUSE OF THE SIDE EFFECTS TO BABY IN UTERO!! I HAVE A 6 MONTH OLD WHO HAS NOT BEING VACCINATED AND I PLAN ON KEEPING IT THAT WAY UNTIL HE'S ABOUT 4 YEARS OLD AND HIS IMMUNE SYSTEM IS DEVELOPED. HE IS ALSO BREASTFED WHICH HELPS HIS IMMUNE SYSTEM. I WOULD RECCOMEND YOU READ AND DO MORE RESEARCH BEFORE YOU VACCINATE YOUR UNBORN BABY. BEST OF LUCK!!

Re: TDaP vaccination while breastfeeding?

Sullivanthepoop
I never really had an opinion on the influenza vaccine because it has such low efficacy, but I have recently formed an opinion.  I think we are targeting the wrong people in a lot of ways.  The people who should get the vaccine are preschool and school age children, pregnant women, people at high risk other than the elderly, and healthcare workers.
The reason I think all children should be vaccinated is because not only is the efficacy so much higher in children, but it is also more effective at protecting the adults they come into contact with than if the adults were vaccinated themselves.
The efficacy in pregnant women is going to be the same as for other women in their age group, but the vaccine has a protective effect against miscarriage and provides incredible protection for the infants born to recently vaccinated women.  These infants when hospitalized for influenza complications make up a large portion of cost of influenza outbreaks.  So the savings in economic burden would be quite large if all pregnant women who could get vaccinated did.
As far as healthcare workers go that is another case of efficacy.  If all healthcare workers at nursing homes and hospitals are immunized then it provides greater protection to the patients than if the patients were vaccinated themselves.
In healthy people aged 24-55 the efficacy is pretty low and there would be a greater benefit if all children who could be were vaccinated than if all people in this age group were vaccinated.
The elderly is another bad aspect of this vaccine because they are at the greatest risk, but have the least immune response to this vaccine.  Other countries have added adjuvants to overcome this problem, but the US will not use influenza vaccines with adjuvants because in safety studies it made one of the safest vaccines with a low rate of side effects all the sudden jump up to a vaccine with many side effects.  See, more proof that the US is not willing to forgo safety for a better vaccination program.