Shingles

KT
So, I'm only 39 and was diagnosed with shingles. So far, it's not too bad, and I'm hoping it'll stay that way.

But, this has gotten me thinking.. what is the current opinion about the effect of varicella vaccination on the rate of shingles in adults? I remember reading something about this on Dr. Bob's forum. I know when I was growing up, my great-uncle had shingles, but he was in his 70's. The only people I ever remember having shingles were much older. However, I've now heard of a few acquaintances who have gotten it in their 30's and 40's. Is it really increasing in younger people? Is anyone keeping statistics on this?

Re: Shingles

KT - outch, I aslo hope this doesn't get any worse for you.

As far as I see the field, the jury is still out on the "does the varicella vaccination increase the incidence of shingles" question. This is the latest: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21217180

It says, yes, shingles incidence is increasing, but no, this has nothing to do with the vaccine. I must admit that I have not read the full text. I shall do so and post more.

Speedy healing vibes ~~~~

Re: Shingles

KT
Thanks, Catherina, for taking the time to answer. I'm not out of the woods yet, but it seems the antiviral the doctor gave me is helping keep this at least fairly mild.

I'd sure be interested, if you have the time, in the full text of this article (I don't think I can access it). I'm very curious how they can conclude that there is no association.

Thanks again for your time!

Re: Shingles

KT, do you want to email me at catherinajtv @ gmail . com (remove the spaces for this addy to work) for the full text?