Sean McDermott didn’t need to be reminded

Sean McDermott didn’t need to be reminded

zhangzk
ORCHARD PARK http://www.panthersauthorizedshops.com/authentic-christian-miller-jersey , N.Y. (AP) —the impression defensive tackle Ed Oliver made during his pro day workout at the University of Houston.The Buffalo Bills coach got such an up-close look at Oliver last month, he almost got run over by the 6-foot-1, 287-pound player.Joking he had no problem getting out of Oliver’s way, McDermott turned serious in discussing what he saw in the player Buffalo selected with the ninth pick in the NFL draft Thursday night.“You could feel his presence and energy,” McDermott said. “The closer you got, the more you felt the quickness, the more you felt the power, the more you felt the juice.”It’s that type of athletic ability and power the Bills hope can fill an immediate need on a defensive line that has to replace Kyle Williams, who retired after his 13th season in Buffalo last winter.“No one’s going to ever replace Kyle Williams, so I just want to manage expectations,” McDermott said, referring to a player who was the team’s unquestioned on- and off-field leader.“Ed Oliver is going to come in and Jordan Scarlett Jersey , No. 1, earn everything that he gets,” he added. “He’s a good player that plays hard, brings his lunch pail. And he’s a guy that fits the way we play on the field.”After Oliver spent his three years at Houston playing directly over the opposing center, the Bills plan to shift him to an outside position, next to returning starting nose tackle Star Lotulelei. That puts Oliver in a better position to take advantage of his quick-footed ability to penetrate the backfield.Oliver, who entered the draft after his junior season, was a three-time All-America selection and led the FBS by combining for 50 tackles for loss or no gain over the last three years.He had his most productive year in 2017, when he was awarded the Outland Trophy, given to the nation’s best interior lineman, and also earned AAC defensive player of the year honors. Oliver was credited with 73 tackles, 16 1/2 tackles for a loss and 5 1/2 sacks in 12 games.An injury to his right knee led to a drop in production last year David Montgomery Jersey , when Oliver finished with 54 tackles, 14 1/2 for a loss and three sacks in eight games.The NFL’s scouting report referred to Oliver as being a “twitched-up ball of explosive fury from the moment he comes out of his stance.”The only real knock against him was his relative lack of NFL size.Oliver isn’t concerned.“All I can say about that is it will all come to fruition in due time,” Oliver said. “I just want to come and help my team compete, and compete for a starting job.”He particularly enjoyed his pre-draft visit to the Bills headquarters, and said Buffalo felt a lot like home.The other question mark regarding Oliver, was him getting into a shouting match with Houston coach Major Applewhite on the sideline during a game against Tulane in November. Still sidelined by the knee injury, Oliver declined Applewhite’s order to take off the black jacket he was wearing because it was reserved for those who were playing.Applewhite later released a statement saying what happened “was not indicative” of Oliver’s character, and added the two can learn from what happened.White called it a misunderstanding, and said he respects Applewhite.On Thursday, Oliver said, there is no lingering tension between him and Applewhite. “That’s in the past, and I’m ready to go play ball http://www.bearsauthorizedshops.com/authentic-riley-ridley-jersey ,” he added.Bills general manager Brandon Beane said the team determined the confrontation was a non-issue.The Bills were so high on Oliver, they entertained the possibility of trading up a few spots for the opportunity to draft him. That option wasn’t required after Oliver dropped several spots due to the New York Giants selecting Duke quarterback Daniel Jones with the sixth pick, and Oakland using the fourth pick to select Clemson defensive end Clelin Ferrell.“You never know how it’s going to fall. There were other good players on offense, too, that were around,” Beane said. “But this was a pick that we felt fit a need as well.”Beane had several options open after addressing numerous needs, mostly on offense, by signing 18 veterans in free agency over the past two months.Oliver joins a defense that allowed the second fewest yards in the NFL last season. And he becomes the first defensive tackle selected in the first round by Buffalo since the team drafted Marcell Dareus with the third pick in 2011.The Bills have nine picks left and spread over the final six rounds, including the 40th overall pick in the second round. MIAMI — The Miami Marlins spent June engaged in methodical but fruitful climb out of the basement in the National League East. The New York Mets can begin July by cementing their unimaginably rapid descent to the bottom of not just the division but the entire Senior Circuit. The Marlins will look to move into sole possession of fourth place in the NL East Sunday, when they look to complete a sweep of the free-falling Mets in the finale of a three-game series at Marlins Park. Marlins right-hander Dan Straily (3-3, 4.82 ERA) is scheduled to oppose Mets left-hander Steven Matz (3-5, 3.69 ERA). The Marlins came back from an early two-run deficit Saturday to earn a 5-2 win over the Mets and their ace Jonah Williams Jersey , right-hander Jacob deGrom. The win completed the best month of the season for Miami (34-50), which went 14-14 while winning five of nine series. “That’s how you climb is continue to win series, continue to win series,” Marlins manager Don Mattingly told reporters Saturday. “Hopefully somewhere in there, you throw an eight- or 10-game winning streak together to really take a chunk out of something.” The Mets (32-48) are doing the exact opposite. New York went 5-21 in June, during which it lost eight of nine series and split the other. It was the third-worst month in franchise history behind/ahead of only July 1963 (4-25) and August 1982 (5-24). In the process, the Mets went from five games out of first place and eight games ahead of the Marlins to tie for last, 14 1/2 games out of first. The two teams are tied for the worst record in the NL, though Miami is technically percentage points ahead of New York heading into Sunday. The Mets are 21-47 since opening 11-1, the best 12-game start in franchise history. Only the Baltimore Orioles have a worse record since Apr. 13. The Mets have not been in last place in the NL East after July 1 since 2005, when they had a 77-77 record while occupying fifth place on Sept. 24. This squad appears far more likely to flirt with 100 losses than with .500, but rookie manager Mickey Callaway said he will continue to remain patient. “We just have to keep on having daily conversations to try and right the ship Elgton Jenkins Jersey ,” Callaway told reporters Saturday. “It’s difficult right now. I know the players are feeling it. I know the fans are feeling it. We’re going to continue to do everything we can with the staff, the organization and the players to try and get in a better spot than we are. Because this isn’t acceptable to anybody.” Straily earned the win in his most recent start last Monday, when he allowed three runs over 6 1/3 innings as the Marlins beat the Arizona Diamondbacks, 9-5. Matz didn’t factor into the decision last Tuesday, when he gave up three runs over seven innings as the Mets beat the Pittsburgh Pirates, 4-3. Straily is 1-1 with a 3.04 ERA in five career starts against the Mets. Matz is 2-2 with a 3.67 ERA in five starts against the Marlins.