Rabies Vaccine is it necessary in this circumstance??

Rabies Vaccine is it necessary in this circumstance??

Rachel
I was snuggled right up against my daughter finishing up her bedtime routine with a lullaby. I closed my eyes and in the middle of singing Hush Little Baby, my daughter started to babble away, so I stopped singing opened my eyes and saw a bat circling the ceiling of the bedroom. I immediately grabbed my daughter and ran out of the room and got my husband to get the bat out of the house. Later, my husband was looking up things on bats getting into the house and raised a concern that we may want to talk to someone about finding a bat in the house. So, I started to research it and decided to call my daughter's pediatrician. She said not to be concerned, but gave me the number for the health dept. The health dept said that we should both get the rabies vaccine. I wanted a second opinion, so I asked another pediatrician who said not to worry about it. What should we do? Should we be concerned?

Re: Rabies Vaccine is it necessary in this circumstance??

Hi Rachel,

what an ending to a peaceful evening! I don't think that the situation is enough to warrant a rabies vaccine, since your daughter was not alone in the room with the bat and you would have noticed the bat brushing against you. I have sent your question to a friend of mine who is a rabies expert for a second opinion on my end and will get back to you ASAP. What about your husband. Did he get in contact with the bat when chasing it out?

Re: Rabies Vaccine is it necessary in this circumstance??

Rachel
My husband said no contact occured at all between him and the bat. My daughter ended up recieving the vaccine, per pediatrician, health dept and children's hospitals advice. They cleared me to not have the vaccine. (I want to add, that the physians and nurses in the ER thought the whole situation was crazy and didn't warrant a vaccine.) I'm looking forward to hearing the advice of the rabies expert!

Re: Rabies Vaccine is it necessary in this circumstance??

Hi Rachel, it took some time for my friend to get back to me. He agrees with your course of action and says:

Finish the rabies vaccine for your baby. Make good note of it, because if she is ever in contact with a bat again, she will not need immunoglobulin and if she decides to become a vet, she already has her basic immunisation under her belt.

Find out where the bat was likely to have come from and if there is a habitat close to you, consider an insect mesh/grid in front of your daughter's window to prevent further intrusions.

Hope this helps - all the best