Prevnar 13

Lisa
Hi Science Mom,

I am struggling with the decision of whether or not to boost my 3 yr. old daughter with Prevnar13 (she has been fully vaxed with Prevnar 7)  I remember reading elsewhere that you are not a big fan of the Prevnar vaccine, and I was hoping you could share some of your reasoning with me.  I am also concerned that because I did vaccinate her with P7 that she is more susceptible to the additional strains covered by P13.  Any idea how much immunity just the one shot of P13 would give?  Thanks for your help!!

Re: Prevnar 13

Hi Lisa,

SM is away at the moment. I can answer the second part of your questions - since your daughter already is 3 years old, she would only need one Prevnar 13 anyway to get sufficient immunity, even if she had not had the PCV7. The package insert states:

Children aged 2-5 years
One single dose.

It also also say:

Long-term persistence of antibodies has not been investigated after administration of Prevenar 13 as either a primary series in infants plus booster or after administration of a single priming dose in older children.

so it is not clear how long the one dose of PCV13 would protect against the additional 6 strains.

Is your daughter more susceptible to those 6 strains because SHE was vaccinated? No, her immunity to the 7 strains in PCV7 does not cause hightened vulnerability to other strains. However, the fact that almost all children have been vaccinated has led to a higher circulation of other strains (and that is where SM's criticism lies against general vaccination, as far as I recall).

I hope this helps for the moment

Re: Prevnar 13

Lisa
Thank you Catherina!  That does help a lot :)