Pentacel or space them out? (aluminum?)

JustOneMom
21 month old son has not had any vax since is 6 month old shots. Meaning he's missing the last in te series of the HIB, Pneumo, DTaP and IPV, as well both Hep A's, MMR and Varicella.

We are looking to get him the HIB, Prevnar, DTaP and IPV within the next couple of months and I cannot figure out which would be 'best' (we're vaccing because of perm. move overseas, among other reasons). What are you opinions?

Pentacel this week, and then Prevnar a few weeks/2 months from now?

Or

Space them out/combine them (HIB plus one of the 3, and then the other 2 combined, or other 2 seperate)?

I like the Pentacel because it contains at least HALF of the aluminum of all 4 shots combined. The DTAP brand Daptacel alone contains as much alum as the Pentacel, so EVEN if we space them all out into 4 seperate shots, our son will get aluminum on at least 3 occassions, rather than on one or two.

On the other hand, Pentacel is 5 (!) shots in one and I'm worried about what that might do to his body even though he had zero reactions to the individual components of that shot before.

Any advice/opinions on which of the above would be "best"?

Re: Pentacel or space them out? (aluminum?)

Hi and welcome to the board.

I would vote for Pentacel hands down. It is one poke (i.e. only one doctor's visit) so gets you caught up in one go. Pentacel is very well tolerated, too (actually, it was found to be overall better tolerated than Daptacel plus IPV and Hib, see here http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/123/1/301.long) and you avoid the risk of him having a cold just when you want to do the next shot then (if you did the three, DTaP, hib and IPV seperately). Also, with an international move to prepare you'll have many things on your mind, that is one less worry.

I would leave a couple of weeks between the Pentacel and the PCV13, so you are confident that he dealt well with the Pentacel, but it doesn't make much of a difference whether you leave 2 weeks or 2 months in terms of "immune challenge" or aluminium.

I hope this helps with your decision. If you have any questions regarding vaccines in your new location, feel free to ask (I vaccinated mine in 4 countries/2 continents) - and do have a look at my latest blog post (http://justthevax.blogspot.com/2011/06/keeping-track-of-your-childs.html) and make sure you have a proper yellow card with all vaccine info before you move.

Let us know what you decided and how it went...

Re: Pentacel or space them out? (aluminum?)

Middle Roader
Just my experience.  My DD had Pentacel at 2, 4, 6, and 18 mo and did fine with all four of them!  We then did the Prevnar 1 month later.