Pediarix

GeminiMoon42
My kids' pediatrician does not offer Pentacel but does offer Pediarix for Hib, DTaP, & hep B. Can you tell me the ingredients in this combination vaccine? Can you tell me your opinions on the safety of this vaccine? And if it's better to do a combo vax like this or just do them separately. Thanks.

Re: Pediarix

GeminiMoon42
Oops, I meant polio, DTaP & Hep b for Pediarix.

Re: Pediarix

Hi  and welcome to the board. I am not so fond of Pediarix - not because it is dangerous, but because it actually is a DTaP/IPV/hepB vaccine, and, at least for parents who are hepB negative, I consider the hib in the Pentacel (DTaP/IPB/hib) much more important.

Can your doctor not order the Pentacel in for you?

I am a big fan of combination vaccines. Fewer pokes (which for my kids was always the decisive thing - how many needles).

This is the Pentacel product info http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/ucm172502.htm
and this is it for Pediarix http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/ucm146759.htm

Hope this helps with your decision -

Re: Pediarix

GeminiMoon42
I was hoping for Pentacel but it's not offered. Since I recently moved, I've had a hard enough time finding a pediatrician who will even see kids who aren't on the CDC schedule, let alone special ordering vaccines for me. This is the combo vaccine that they offer. I read here that the aluminum levels in Pentacel are close to the aluminum levels in the 3 separate shots and I was wondering if that goes the same for the aluminum levels (and other ickies) in pediarix. I didn't see anything like that listed in the insert or did I miss it?

Re: Pediarix

GeminiMoon42
And I was planning on doing Hib as well but separately. And I was planning on doing the 3 immunizations in pediarix as well so I wouldn't be adding any extras or eliminating others. I was just wondering about if you think it's still safer to give these 3 immunizations separately or in one shot with pediarix. And are these newer combo vaxes safe just because of the fact that they're so new.

Re: Pediarix

It would be perfectly safe to do the Pediarix and the Pentacel aluminum content was a misprint in Dr. Bob's book.

Finding new doctors after a move is difficult - I still miss our old pediatrician.

I have seen your other question below - will answer that one later - need to get the kids up and to school :)