O.T., re: Botox

Anony
SM or Catherina,

Do you have any insight on Botox, as a cosmetic procedure for an adult?  My main concern is, how long the Botox stays in the body, as the doctor claims it is recognized by the body, immediately, then the effects lessen quite quickly, hence the cycle of repeating.  My concern is such for reproductive health reasons.

T.I.A.

Re: O.T., re: Botox

Hi Anony,

I tried to get some literature on this, and I was convinced there must be something, because Botox is quite widely used, but all I could find on Botox and pregnancy was a report on one patient who gets Botox regularly for/against a neurological disorder and had 4 "normal" pregnancies (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15389988).

From what I know of Botox, the amounts used and the potential side effects described, which are all very close to the injection site (so say, a drooping eyelid after injection into the forehead), it is highly unlikely that a (facial, I assume) Botox injection would have any detrimental effect on the baby, who is far far away from the face.

I found these answers on Babycenter quite informative:
http://www.babycenter.com/406_is-it-safe-to-get-botox-treatments-during-pregnancy_1246913.bc

I hope this helps