MMR Safety

Gia

MMR Safety

Gia
My child has all vaxes except for the MMR. My child is five now. With all the activity I have seen on the news,I want to get this vax for her. I went to immunization action coalition and seen some stuff that looked extra scary in the vaccination handouts for drs,and patients.

Seizure (jerking or staring) caused by fever (about 1 out of 3,000 doses)

Temporary low platelet count, which can cause a bleeding disorder (about 1 out of 30,000 doses)

Several other severe problems have been known to occur after a child gets MMR vaccine. But this happens so rarely, experts cannot be sure whether they are caused by the vaccine or not. These include:

Deafness,Long-term seizures, coma, or lowered consciousness Permanent brain damage

WTH??????

Is there people that are more at risk for these reactions,and are the last ones I mentioned such as deafness ect ect from the measels portion of the live vaccine? How common is this,and is there ways to prevent this?

Thanks

Re: MMR Safety

Science Mom
Administrator
Gia, Your child is at the far end of the age for febrile seizures so the risk of that is minuscule.  I know the moderate to severe risks sound scary, however, they are observations that happen so infrequently (~1:millions of doses), that it is difficult to determine if it is chance or a reaction to the vaccine.  It is not known if there is a particular component of MMR which can be attributed to these "reactions" again due to the infrequency of occurrence.   The only known contraindications to MMR vaccination is allergy to some of the components and having an immunocompromised disorder.  The risks of contracting measles, mumps and rubella are still higher than having a vaccine reaction and in the case of measles and mumps, the risks of a complication are also higher than a vaccine reaction.

SM