Has the pneumococcal vax changed in the past years?

Has the pneumococcal vax changed in the past years?

GeminiMoon42
I was wondering if prevnar has changed in the past couple years. I adjust my kids schedules as the years go on and the technology changes. I remember with my last babies born in 2008 & 2009, prevnar wasn't considered the safest vaccine and at that time it protected against something like 7 out of 100 strains. Has the vaccine gotten better with safety and side effects? Does it protect against more strains now?

Re: Has the pneumococcal vax changed in the past years?

Hi again - yes indeed, the Prevenar (or PCV) now protects against 13 strains - see here:

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/pneumo/vac-PCV13-hcp-faqs.htm
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5909a2.htm

The safety of the new PCV13 is about the same as of the old PCV7.