DTaP questions

Cath or SM,

What are my best choices for a DTaP booster? Does it matter what my child received as an infant, for the previous question, to be answered?   Is it advisable to choose the booster that also includes polio, and what is it, so I ask for it by name, if available?  Is this vax given in the muscle?

I am not interested in any vax, that includes Heps, if that helps you to answer my questions.

Thanks

Re: DTaP questions

Science Mom
Administrator
Hello A, how many DTaPs has your child had and how old?  In fact, given your questions, why don't you include what your child has had so far.

SM

Re: DTaP questions

Amber
Hi,

Here are the following vaxes my child has had to date, as we are heading for 5 y.o. well-visit in the upcoming month.

Pasteur Daptacel @ 3 mo., 6 mo., 9 mo., 2 yrs.

IPV @ 3 mo., 6 mo., 9 mo.

Aventis/Pasteur Act Hib @ 2 mo., 4 mo., 7 mo., 1 yr.

Wyeth Prevnar @ 2 mo., 4 mo., 7 mo., 15 mo.,

Merck Varivax @ 17 mo.

Merck MMR @ 4 y.o.

I think I previously stated, I am only interested in DTaP booster at this time for my child, with the exception, of, is there a combo vax that includes polio?  According to our ped's office, however, I , was told the only option for my child is Penticil (sp? - that I am not familiar with), with then polio being a separate vax.  Also, mentioned, is there concern with what manufacturer my child will receive vrs. prior vaccine maker?

Thank you

Re: DTaP questions

Science Mom
Administrator
Amber, There is a DTaP-IPV jab called Kinrix but your physician's office may not carry it.  You can get DTaP-IPV-Hib in Pentacel, which your physician suggested and that would also work, it just means an extra Hib which is not anything to worry about at all and polio is included so just one jab.  Considering you gave previous DTaPs with Daptacel, that is the same as the DTaP in Pentacel and will allow you to remain consistent.  You can switch vaccine brands and there is no problem there, it's simply that series with different brands have not been evaluated so they can't make any claims of efficacy even though the antigens are mostly the same and will produce an immunological response.  Does this make sense?

SM

Re: DTaP questions

Amber
SM,

Hi.  Thanks for the reply....I mis-typed/didn't proof-read in my original post, therefore creating a new thread, I believe - sorry.

Your post makes sense.  I did some research on my own, however, and correct me if I am wrong.  I visited the CDC's web site (cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5739a5.htm) and it claims that Pentacel is not licensed for older than five or for 4-6 y.o. booster - that's where my child falls and if the case, I do not feel settled about that claim and then proceeding with that vax.

Do I hassle myself and try to get the ped to give me a script for Kinrix?  Thoughts?  Deep sigh is all I can muster, at this point....oh, and is Pentacel, and Kinrix, for that matter, a single use syringe or drawn from a vial and how are they each stored?

Thank you again.

Re: DTaP questions

Science Mom
Administrator
Amber, here are the package inserts for both Pentacel and Kinrix:  https://www.vaccineshoppe.com/image.cfm?doc_id=11169&image_type=product_pdf and http://us.gsk.com/products/assets/us_kinrix.pdf Kinrix is all in one vial whereas Pentacel needs to be mixed from separate vials.  But they are single dose vials and don't contain thimerosal if that's what concerns you.
I know the recommendation for Pentacel is not for a booster dose, nor for those over 5 years old, however they are the same vaccines that you have been giving all along, just combined together so yes technically, is off-label use so you have to decide if you are fine with that or not.  You might be able to just go to your local public health department for Kinrix if you decide on that but call them first.

SM