Chicken Pox lollies?

Amber
Has anyone else seen/heard about this...CNN has reported about this.

Parents can buy lollipops, on various internet sites, that sick children w/ wild-type chicken pox, first have sucked on, and then have it sent to them, so that their child can *hopefully* acquire wild-type, in the hopes of *natural* immunity.

Is anyone else disturbed by this?....I am on so many levels.  And do I even have to mention the legality - it's illegal!

Now, this is both disgusting and irresponsible!

Re: Chicken Pox lollies?

disgusting, isn't it? The FB groups have been advertising this kind of thing for a while and I recall SM getting into a debate on Babycenter with some mothers who thought this was a great idea. For all I know, hepB survives longer on the surface of the lollie than varicella virus - urgh, yuck, pheou...

Re: Chicken Pox lollies?

Science Mom
Administrator
Oh yes, this has made it to "mainstream" news.  It's so vile and to think that people are profiting monetarily from it.  There is something quite wrong about buying bodily fluids from strangers to infect your child.  Yes, I did bring up the illegal nature of mailing pathogens on Babycenter and also notified the administration, who could care less.  When the investigation turns in their direction, they can't say they weren't warned.