Arrival of the Mack: a case for earning

chenyan94
 the league’s 2018 MVP award We’ve all likely played Mack Morrison’s song “Return of the Mack” countless times since September 1st of 2018. For anyone who was hiding under a mountain Leonard Floyd Jerseys 2019 , or waking up from a night out on the town, that was the date when Bears general manager Ryan Pace pulled the trigger on securing the NFL’s top edge defender. Expectations skyrocketed for this young Bears team, and people instantly questioned just how much one player, who’s not listed as a QB, is worth. Four weeks into the 2018 regular season, Khalil Mack has been worth every single penny and draft pick spent in the completed series of transactions. Here’s the full stat-line for this Monster of the Midway: Khalil Mack’s Stats-LineStatsTotalsStatsTotalsIn comparison to other defenses around the league, Mack alone has matched, and even exceeded, totals for several teams. His total amount of sacks (5) matched the 4-week totals for both the Oakland Raiders — Jon Gruden is likely doing the walk of shame right now — and the New York Giants. The one interception he has is greater than the total for the Dallas Cowboys, and matched the totals for the New Orleans Saints, Houston Texans, San Francisco 49ers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, and Jacksonville Jaguars. The scariest stat has to be his forced fumbles/strip sacks totals. There are only 9 teams in the entire league who have forced more fumbles as a team than Khalil Mack has by himself. Those teams are: Cleveland Browns (6); Arizona Cardinals (5); Buffalo Bills (7); Cincinnati Bengals (5);Pittsburgh Steelers (6); Houston Texans (6); New York Jets (6); Tennessee Titans (5); and New Orleans Saints (5). Otherwise, his total either matched or exceeded the team totals of the remaining 21 teams. Needless to say, Mack has been a force of nature on this elite defense for the Chicago Bears. Let’s examine some of his best plays for the Bears thus far this season. First, let’s make a note of how Mack attacked the ball in his first official sack with the Bears. This has been a theme throughout his first four games White Eddie Jackson Jerseys , and a big reason why he’s the first player since Robert Mathis — helmet tip to Tonkaman for that bit — to record a strip sack in four consecutive games. That’s also a possible reason why he hasn’t been flagged for roughing the passer; can’t flag him if the ball is already stripped and on the ground. This was just a savvy play made with pure effort. Once he sniffed out the screen and noticed Roy Robertson-Harris was free, he slipped back and intercepted the ball. His high football IQ has always been on display since coming into the league as the 5th overall pick of the 2014 NFL Draft. Again, he sees ball, he attacks ball. It helps to have such a high motor as he fought off a chip and a block from two separate players. Once he saw Russell Wilson slow-cocking his arm to throw the ball, Mack swatted the ball out. Mack will not be denied here on his third sack of the season. Something else that he does exceptionally well, is he gets skinny when facing multiple blockers. In this case, he first set the tackle up to over-exaggerate their kick-step, then got skinny as he merged inside, and bull-rushed the left guard. He’s fought and won against triple teams on several occasions. Another high effort play by Mack on sack #4 on the year, and his 3rd strip sack. And, again, he’s not looking for the kill shot. He eyeballed the pigskin and attacked Bradford’s arm. His energy and experience paid off as he ended the Cardinals’ chances of scoring on that drive. Asking any offensive lineman in the league to block Mack one-on-one is simply daring the league’s most dangerous rusher to make a play. And Dirk Koetter’s Bucs paid the price. First with this sack of Ryan Fitzpatrick. Koetter took an even bigger gamble with leaving Khalil Mack free to rush the passer, as he hoped the play-action off the trap would slow him down. Mack wasn’t having any of that nonsense. He swam over the pulling guard and disrupted Jameis Winston’s pass, turning a potential bomb into a wounded duck. And you’ve got to love Mack’s drive to go downfield while looking for shirts to block on Danny Trevathan’s interception return. Oh, and on an unrelated note, that was a nice pancake served to Winston by Roquan Smith. Defensive Coordinator Vic Fangio, who’s coached up a top-ten unit in Chicago even before Mack’s arrival Eddie Jackson Jerseys 2019 , has been creative in how he’s deployed his multi-role weapon. Specifically, he’s lined Mack up both as a defensive end, and as an outside linebacker. You will see Mack being asked to drop on occasion, while pass coverages and stunts are being blended from play to play. Thanks to all the success that Khalil Mack and company have had up-front, Fangio has been able to utilize his full playbook. Thanks to all the havoc that Mack has caused by himself, other defenders have taken advantage of their respective opportunities to make plays. Out of the 18 sacks amassed by Chicago, Mack owns 5 of them. For the remaining 13 sacks, 9 different players have contributed. If this isn’t a season that one considers worthy of MVP consideration, then the MVP award shouldn’t even exist. Lawrence Taylor was the last defender to win MVP, which dates all the way back in 1986. Mack is on pace to recording 20 sacks, 16 forced fumbles, and 12 additional quarterback hits. It’s time to end that streak. And it’s time to be excited for the Chicago Bears again. DETROIT (AP) — The Detroit Lions and Chicago Bears will meet for the second time in 12 days — yet this matchup already looks a lot different.Mitchell Trubisky, Chicago’s starting quarterback, is doubtful for Thursday’s rematch with the Lions because of a right shoulder injury.That means Chase Daniel, who has barely played in the NFL since 2014, may take the field for the NFC North-leading Bears under the Thanksgiving spotlight.“We’re on a short week. So regardless, there’s not a lot you can do. The nice thing about having a guy like Chase White Tarik Cohen Jerseys , regardless of which direction you go, is I was Chase’s quarterback coach in Kansas City for three years,” Bears coach Matt Nagy said.“So, I know Chase inside out and he knows me. And so, that’s why you bring in a guy like Chase, is not only for his expertise in this offense, but in the way he handles his position each and every week.”Trubisky threw for 355 yards and three touchdowns in Chicago’s 34-22 win over the Lions on Nov. 11. Now the teams face each other again less than two weeks later. The Bears (7-3) have won four straight.Detroit (4-6) is in the middle of a three-game homestand that began with a victory over Carolina last weekend, but rookie running back Kerryon Johnson left that game with a knee injury. He won’t play Thursday.So both teams have health concerns coming into this game — and they haven’t had much time to adjust to any potential lineup changes. The 32-year-old Daniel has started two games in his NFL career, and he hasn’t attempted a pass since the 2016 season.“The guy is very versed in the system. He’s played in it for a while,” Detroit coach Matt Patricia said. “A little bit different than Trubisky, but as far as the operation of the offense, none of that really will change.”Here are a few other things to know about Detroit’s matchup with Chicago:EVEN QUICKER TURNAROUNDThe Lions haven’t had much time to prepare for this game after playing last weekend, but the Bears had even less time to recover, since their Sunday game against Minnesota was at night.So when Thursday’s game kicks off around 12:30 p.m. local time, Chicago will have had about 3½ days since the end of its previous game.“Our guys, once we knew it, we prepped them on what our game plan is as far as making sure they’re mentally and physically strong and how they have to treat it Tarik Cohen Jerseys 2019 ,” Nagy said.“So, it’s a positive to be flexed into a night game like we were last week, but now we have to make sure that we handle our business.”THANKSGIVING HISTORYOnly Green Bay has faced the Lions more times on Thanksgiving than the Bears. Chicago and Detroit have split their previous 16 Thanksgiving meetings. The Lions lost to Minnesota last year, ending their four-game winning streak on Thanksgiving.HIGHLIGHT REELKenny Golladay has a long way to go before approaching Calvin Johnson’s accomplishments, but the 6-foot-4 receiver has already made his share of acrobatic catches in his young career, including the winning touchdown against Carolina.“His ball skills are really good. He makes play after play,” Nagy said. “He’s somebody that I was aware of, but the more you watch him, you really appreciate his game.”Golladay became even more important for Detroit after the Lions traded Golden Tate — and now that Marvin Jones has missed time with a knee injury. Jones has been ruled out of Thursday’s game.IMPROVINGDetroit is ranked 24th in the league against the run, but the Lions held Carolina to 56 yards on the ground, and the Bears had only 54 the previous week.FRANCHISE QBDetroit’s Matthew Stafford has a passer rating of 100.8 in his past six Thanksgiving games, but he’ll have his work cut out for him against a talented Chicago defense — and with Johnson and Jones unavailable.“You just have to do what you do and do it well,” Stafford said. “Obviously, they have really good players, they have a really good scheme. There are strengths at all three levels of the defense. Their front is playing as good as any front in the league right now. I think they have two really good linebackers and their secondary is playing great, too.”