Are there any vaccines you'd advise not doing at the same appointment?

Are there any vaccines you'd advise not doing at the same appointment?

GeminiMoon42
Are there any vaccines you'd advise against doing together at the same appointment? I tend to let my kids get 2, sometimes 3, vaccines at the same time/appointment. Are there any combos you think are more on the risky side? For example, is it okay to do MMR and varicella at the same time or is it safer to do them at 2 different appointments since they're both live virus vaccines. Thanks for any input and opinions. I appreciate it :)

Re: Are there any vaccines you'd advise not doing at the same appointment?

Hi Again,

the only thing I would split, if possible, is any DTaP-containing vaccine and the PCV13. Given on the same day, they tend to give more fevers, so some parents (and doctors) are alternating them (so one visit DTaP, next visit PCV13 and so on). I have heard from many parents who have given them together without problems, but the package insert mentions the fevers, so that is one thing if you wanted.

It is ok to do MMR and varicella (one into left leg, one into right) at the same visit, but I would not use the combination MMRV (ProQuad) since that (for some odd reason) again increases the risk of fever.

HTH

Re: Are there any vaccines you'd advise not doing at the same appointment?

GeminiMoon42
Great! Thanks so much for your knowledge and advice. It's very much appreciated. :)