Advice on which vax to do

Katie
My to be 3 yr old has received these shots below.  First question is, does he have immunity to DTaP? Didn't get 6 mo. dose but did get 1 yr dose.  I read in Dr. Sear's book that only 3 doses were needed if started later, but his started on schedule and were finished later. Second question is which vax would you recommend next (we only do 1 at a time)?

2 mo - DTap
4 mo - DTap
6 mo - Rota
9 mo - HIB
12 mos - DTaP
18 mos - HIB
2 yrs - Hep B

Thanks!

Re: Advice on which vax to do

Hi Katie and welcome to the board,

yes, your son is immune with the three DTaPs for now. Since he only had three relatively earlier (2, 4, 12) than recommended in three shot schedules (3, 5, 12), I would try and get him the school booster "early", i.e. soon after his 4th birthday. I would recommend the MMR now, just because we are going through a bad measles period this year.

Hope that helps

Re: Advice on which vax to do

Katie
Thanks!  One follow up question... since MMR is a live virus vax, will it put my 11 mo. old at risk of catching it from shedding?

Re: Advice on which vax to do

No, absolutely not. A fresh vaccinee may shed some rubella virus, but the titers are too low to be transmitted from child to child. The only documented rubella vaccine virus transmission has occured from vaccinated mother to nurseling baby (through the liters of breastmilk that the baby drank and the virus contained in the milk).